Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 7, 2011

New mom confessions... getting the schedule down

Everyone says that being mom does get easier over time. Well, until today I didn't believe a single one of you! Here is how my life was before this morning.... Isabella would sleep all day; usually on top of me because she'd wake up when I put her down so I got to the point where I would just let her stay asleep on top me. Once in while I could get her to lay next to me on the bed or couch without waking up that didn't happen very often. She would also want to eat every hour, I'd be lucky if it was 2 hours, because she'd just want to sleep instead of actually eating. By the time night time (about 7 or 8 pm) came she'd want to stay to up and play but because I'd try to put her to bed she would just cry and scream because that is not what she wanted to do. Once I finally got her to fall sleep about 9 or 10 pm, again usually on top of me, she'd wake up the second I put her down. And once she woke up then she'd want to eat because she was awake and forgot how hungry she was. So the cycle would start over again (eat, fall asleep, put her down, wake up, eat...). Before I knew it, it was midnight or later. Usually I could her to sleep for a couple hours until about 2 or 3 am but once those times hit she'd want to stay awake no matter what we did to try and get her to sleep. So by the time she fell back asleep it was about 4 or 5 am! Then we could her to sleep for another couple of hours (usually by this point she'd be asleep on top of us because we'd be to exhausted to care). And then the game would keep going until about 10 or 11 am when I would finally convince myself to wake up and Craig would head off to work. And then the day would be the same as the one before. I couldn't get anything done and didn't sleep during the day because there was a baby on top of me. After this going on for about a week I was exhausted. Craig would do his best to help out and would usually take her for awhile during the night. So he ended up being just as tired as I was. This schedule was not working for us!

Now, today.... Today I feel great! Some how we managed to get Isabella to sleep in her bassinet, instead of sleeping on top of us and waking up the second we put her down, 2 nights in row! That's right... 2 nights!! I thought yesterday the first night was just a fluke thing and wouldn't happen again but it did. Yesterday we started to establish a schedule I like and I want to keep it this way! Yesterday, we went to church at 11 am and she stayed awake for sacrament meeting. We let Isabella sleep during the last 2 meetings. She stayed asleep in her car seat even after we got home at 2 pm until about 3 pm. Once she woke up at 3 pm she wouldn't fall asleep for very long. She took little cat naps here and there until she finally went down for bed that night. I'm glad she decided to stay awake because I was going to force her to stay up anyways so she'd sleep that night. I gave her a bath about 8:15 pm then fed her and she feel asleep. I put her down on the couch at about 9:15 pm and thought she'd wake up after I put her down like she always does but she didn't. I decided to go lay down in bedroom until she woke up and Craig watched her in the living room. I didn't hear her cry until midnight! She actually stayed asleep from 9 pm until 12 am on the couch without us holding her! So I fed her and she fell right back asleep. This time I put her in her bassinet and she slept for another 2 to 2 1/2 hours! Then once again I fed her, she fell asleep, and I put her in her bassinet and she stayed there! This happened until about 9 am and she stayed up and played for a couple hours. Last night was wonderful! All 3 of us got some much needed sleep and today we were all feeling pretty good! Hopefully we can keep this new schedule going and forget all about the old one!

2 comments:

Mark & Rachel said...

Hi Sarah! I totally didnt believe other moms at first too :-) So glad you have a schedule that works for you all! If you need anything, we are in Rexburg.

Anonymous said...

Yay, Sarah!!! I'm so glad that something worked. It's so hard to function when you're so tired. Hopefully this is a habit for her. Good luck. She is adorable!! It was so good to see you on Saturday.